Sunday, January 11, 2009

Travels & travails

I dedicate my first piece of crap in the new year to travels...
I am inspired bymy athimber aka Jiju in hindi... Athi shares the same name as me but with the first and last names swapped.. Im Rajagopalan Krishnan n he is Krishnan Rajagopalan.... More than the name, i found out during my 4 months stay in Mumbai that i have a lot in common with him... he is a very practical person with common sense prevaling over him more than anger or frustration.. definitely a person to emulate ( im sure atleast Viju athimber another jiju of mine would agree to this) ..more about Krishna athi later... but this one is dedicated to his first vacation in more than 5 years... While i was in Mumbai, i had played a minor part in making the family plan for a vacation .. My sis jiju and niece had one helluva time in Gangtok , Kolkatta and Bhubneshwar.. Athi who slogs 14-15 hrs at a major bank has somehow taken off time to write a travelogue ( he says it is nt a normal traelogue) .. He is yet to release an official version so i dare not violate copyright..he calls it sandesh from the east... I have been fascinated by the east of india ever since i vistied Guwahati.. and today at 2-3 instances i felt nostalgic abt the east.. first n foremost an NDTV Docu on the Brahmaputra.. it brought the days durin which we used to travel to pan bazaar n phaltan bazaar in front of my eyes.. second my mum called me to get the terminology of magh bihu after reading a newspaper report...magh bihu is makar sankranti in ahom.. the day b4 bihu , which is called bhogi in tamland and whr we burn old ietms,in ahom land theconstruct a hut and stay all night.. in the morning of bihu they burn it.. its called bela ghor...my memoirs in a bela ghor with biblab kolita (landord's son) came rushing to me.. i will soon plan a trip to guwahati ( betel market).....and finally athi's travelogue compunded my resolution to visit the east again.. more than his travels the travails of athi n family make a great read....
I also happened to remember how dad and me just planned a trip on paper using the railway timetable ever year .. we never went on a holiday courtresy my health..
going a step further, trying to emulate jiju i had planned an elaborate two week trip from pune to bangy and chennai and srirangam ...all on first ac ( my long unfulfilled dream)... but had to cancel all and take just a week's holiday to chennai n a crampy low cost carrier....... i end up emulating a scaled up version of our childhood planning ......from planning on paper i got upgraded to planning on web :-) thru etickets................
whatever happens im planning to get one trip by my birthday so that i can also write a travelogue emulating jiju....

No comments:

Post a Comment