Sunday, April 27, 2008

Underdogs!!

We all like supporting the winning team…. Do we really cheer for the losers or for that matter the underdogs? We do cheer for home country albeit its an underdog.. Viz. every Indian would cheer for India (except of course some morons who think they are aussie citizens and cheer for em no matter what). So most of us in India or for that matter any country that usually does not do that well in sports are used to bashing losers and cheering only winners… Take the case of EPL as an example, I have seen scores of my friends and acquaintances following EPL like crazy and cheering for clubs as if they were their home clubs.. Millions in India cheer for Arsenal or Chelsea or ManU or Liverpool…Rarely do I see a person cheering for a reading or tottenham hotspur or Bolton or West Ham for that matter… Reading and west ham are two teams that almost were relegated last year. During my stay in London, I lived closer to Boleyn, the home of West Ham united. Every Sunday when there was a home match scored f West Ham fans rush to cheer for their team with team jerseys and mufflers .. A guy won 2 million pounds in a lotto and shared some 70 K pounds with the club to build some infra at the Boleyn ground (Wow)….my client manager religiously cheered for Manchester city (another underdog) and used to say that I know they’ll ose against big names as they don’t have much money like a Chelsea or arsenal etc bt still I cheer for em… Now this sort of loyalty is amazing. With our own IPL in cricky starting, at first I felt that the Jaipur team is the underdog, I followed their games and found that they are doing pretty well, but alas sachin’s Mumbai is getting bludgeoned.. even Hyd has just won one match….and Bangalore is not doing too well either… especially they have a reputation of having a test team for T20 outings… so I have decided to cheer all the underdogs , especially Mumbai as they have not yet won a single match…. Now that makes me a follower of 7 out of the 8 teams… the only team I don’t like is the Punjab 11 as I am not a great fan of either yuvi , sangakkara or sreesanth … for that mater even Preity zinta is not gud enuf to cheer for…and as a kid o the road said today win or lose cheer for Sachin !!! Whoever wins IPL lets start cheering underdogs and adjust to our team getting defeated.. this will ensure that we will not seethe in anger the next time India gets knocked out from any big tournament in any sport…. After all Winning isn’t everything…

No comments:

Post a Comment